- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Recent editorials from Texas newspapers
Question of the Day
Beaumont Enterprise. Feb. 8, 2014.
Technology Fund still shaky despite recent gains
It was nice to see that the state’s Emerging Technology Fund gained $30 million in valuation despite bankruptcies or closings by 16 of its companies. But the uptick doesn’t erase underlying problems with Gov. Rick Perry’s pet project - or doubts about whether the state should even be playing venture capitalist to begin with.
Despite the recent gains, as recently as 2012 the fund was valued at just $2.4 million more than taxpayers had invested in it. Most of the companies remaining have reported modest overall job growth.
Throughout its history, the fund has also been dogged by complaints that Perry was using it to reward political donors and keeping Texans in the dark about much of its business. It still needs an independent audit, for that matter.
With Perry’s departure looming, even many Republicans are questioning the wisdom of this venture. Their concern is valid, and the Legislature should take a long, hard look at it in 2015.
TWT Video Picks
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- Colorado poll shows women tuning out Democrats' 'war on women' strategy
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world