- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo’s office interfered with, pressured corruption commission: report
- Brit lawmaker: I would fire on Israel if I lived in Gaza
- VA apologizes to forgotten Marine veteran locked in Fla. clinic, forced to call 911
- U.S. social and economic trends on worrisome track, survey finds
- McDonald nomination unanimously referred to full Senate
- Chuck Norris honorary chairman of NRA voter registration campaign
- GOP outraged Obamacare investigators able to get coverage with fake IDs
MILLER: Prideful president refuses to admit Obamacare is a disaster
Hurts economy, health care and jobs
Question of the Day
President Obama is scrambling to put Band-Aids on the health care law instead of admitting that it is DOA.
He pushed Obamacare through Congress with the promise that it would help the 30 million uninsured Americans and not hurt the rest of us. Five years later, the government intrusion has disrupted the coverage of the more than 300 million Americans who were content with their insurance, and it is already dragging down the economy.
Mr. Obama is trying to to hide the problems.
That’s why the White House announced Monday it would again push back the deadline for the mandate to kick in for companies with between 50 and 100 employees to 2016, which gets the negative economic impact to hit after the election.
This is just the latest in two dozen delays to Obamacare that the president has made — without consulting Congress.
On Tuesday, the president attempted to make the change to the employer mandate not seem like a political decision. In a joint press conference with President Francois Hollande of France, Mr. Obama said it was merely an “adjustment” to help midsize companies with compliance.
He said that “the purpose of the law is not to punish them,” but just force them to give health insurance to their employees.
If you are the owner of one of those companies who would be penalized (or taxed, as the Supreme Court calls it), it sure feels like punishment if you are struggling to pay for health insurance for your employees and keep your books balanced.
Mr. Obama took zero responsibility for the struggles that businesses are having in meeting the federal demands. He actually reached back 75 years to pin blame on President Franklin Roosevelt.
“We have a unique system compared to many parts of the world, including France,” the president told reporters. “Partly because of historical accident and some decisions that FDR made during wartime back in World War II, our health care has been much more tied to employers. That not the case in most other developed countries.”
A good follow-up question would have been: Mr. President, name one person who has traveled to France to get medical treatment, compared with the thousands around the world who flock to the United States for our top-notch doctors.
The government-run, European medical system that Mr. Obama seems to love makes medical care the equivalent of going to the DMV.
Another piece of bad news in the past week about the consequences of Obamacare was the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) report that there will be 2.5 million fewer full-time employees by 2024, due to the health care law.
The nonpartisan CBO said that the decline in the workforce will be a result of expanding Medicaid, the penalty on employers who don’t offer insurance, and the new taxes imposed on labor income.
Remember, we already have the lowest labor-force participation force in 35 years because so many people have given up on ever finding a job in the continuing weak economy.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Emily Miller is senior editor of opinion for The Washington Times. She is the author of “Emily Gets Her Gun … But Obama Wants to Take Yours” (Regnery 2013). Miller won the 2012 Clark Mollenhoff Award for Investigative Reporting from the Institute on Political Journalism.
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek tax investigation follows D.C. conviction for muzzleloader bullet ammunition
- MILLER: Harry Reid's hypocrisy on 'Equal Pay Day': No women on top leadership staff
- MILLER: Maryland bathroom bill for transgenders is part of LGBT lobby for sex-change rights
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek surrenders to D.C. police 'Gun Offenders Registry'
- MILLER: Michelle Obama has media blackout in China while touting freedom of press
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
Get Breaking Alerts
- Democratic Sen. John Walsh plagiarized War College master's thesis: report
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Donald Sterling trial: Testimony ends as Shelly Sterling doesn't return to stand
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
- Hezbollah warring in Syria could join fight against Israel
- Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down