- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
Valverde, Mets agree to minor league contract
Question of the Day
NEW YORK (AP) - Right-hander Jose Valverde and the New York Mets have agreed to a minor league contract.
The three-time All-Star has struggled with control in recent years and was 0-1 with a 5.59 ERA for Detroit last year, converting nine saves in 12 chances. He was designated for assignment on June 21, then went to Toledo and had seven saves with a 4.09 ERA in 11 games before he was released on Aug. 7.
The 35-year-old has 286 saves in an 11-year big league career with Arizona, Houston and Detroit.
His deal with New York was announced Wednesday.
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Bush fixed bowling lanes that Obama wants to renovate
- Amid border crisis, Obama to take 15-day vacation in Martha's Vineyard
- Eric Holder on Palin: 'She wasn't a particularly good vice presidential candidate'
- KISS rocker Gene Simmons touts 1 percent life: 'It's fantastic'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs