- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
D.C. standard of living decreased in 2012, poll shows
The standard of living in Washington, D.C., is still rated among the best in the country, but saw a decrease from 2012 to 2013, a poll released Thursday found.
Washington’s standard of living score, a combination of satisfaction with standard of living and optimism about it getting better by Gallup, was 51 in 2013, down about 11 points from 2012, the poll said. The score of 51 leaves the District tied for third with Hawaii, with North Dakota and Alaska ranking second and first respectively.
D.C. saw the only decrease in 2013; all 50 states saw at least a small increase in their standard of living score.
West Virginia had the lowest satisfaction in 2013, with a score of 22, followed by Maine and Rhode Island. The national average score improved 4 points to 38 in 2013.
Almost 80 percent of poll respondents said they were satisfied with their standard of living in D.C., and 62 percent said it was getting better.
The results come from more than 178,000 phone interviews during 2013 with adults across the country. The margin of error is 1 percent.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jacqueline Klimas covers Capitol Hill for The Washington Times. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Rep. Kyrsten Sinema to run in Boston Marathon to honor bombing victims
- Building a D.C. memorial for an endless war bumps into regulations
- Superheroes fail to break record at Awesome Con
- Superheroes to take over Capitol Hill
- Rep. Moran defends against spoof blog's PTSD 'story'
Latest Blog Entries
- Miss. GOP chair: Huckabee distracting from GOP's reasonable pro-life stance
- Commerce Secretary 'optimistic' about U.S.'s economic standing worldwide
- Less than half of registered voters would re-elect their congressman, poll finds
- Half of registered voters in Va. would re-elect Sen. Mark Warner
- 2013 was second most polarizing year of Obama's presidency
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Study: Children fare better in traditional mom-dad families
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.