- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Nats trade for reserve catcher Jose Lobaton
Question of the Day
Vettleson was chosen in the supplemental round of the 2010 draft by the Rays, 42nd overall. He had a .718 OPS at low-A Charlotte last season in 467 at-bats. He did register 13 assists playing in right field and center field and he has 45 stolen bases in three pro seasons.
“The other parts of this trade, to me, really added to the value of the trade,” Rizzo said. “Felipe Rivero, we’ve got very, very strong reports on him. He’s pitched at 21 years old in the Florida State League, throws 95, 96, he can spin the breaking ball and he’s got a huge upside. And Vettleson is, again, a 21-year-old outfielder with a cannon for an arm, put up very good numbers in a tough, accelerated, high-A level at 21 years old.”
Also on Thursday, Washington also placed right-handed reliever Erik Davis on the 60-day disabled list with an elbow sprain. The team is at the maximum 40 players on its roster with Karns and Lobaton swapping places and Rivero taking Davis’ spot.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Brian Orakpo vows contract won't be an issue in 2014
- Redskins call Richmond their summer home
- Jayson Werth's hit, Anthony Rendon's hustle lift Nats past Brewers
- Nationals sign first-round draft pick Erick Fedde, but lose two other selections
- Strasburg, Nats fall to Brewers as second half opens
Latest Blog Entries
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- D.C. plans to seek stay of order striking down ban on handguns in public
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq