Two Koreas set to hold highest level talks in 7 years as U.S. warns North on nukes

With North and South Korea slated to hold another round of direct talks Friday, Secretary of State John F. Kerry praised the two sides for entering into their highest-level engagement in seven years but warned that Washington won’t join the talks until Pyongyang takes “meaningful action” toward denuclearization.

The unexpected round of negotiations, which began Wednesday in a village on the border between the two Koreas, followed a softening of the North’s usual saber-rattling toward the South and Washington, which reached a fever pitch with threats of a nuclear strike in April.

Although the North’s 30-something leader Kim Jong-un softened his posture by expressing interest in better North-South relations during a January speech, Pyongyang embraced an aggressive approach to the talks by demanding that the South reduce its military ties with Washington.

South Korean President Park Geun-hye, who won widespread backing from voters last year by promising to improve relations with the North, participated directly in Wednesday’s talks.

Behind the scenes, U.S. and South Korean officials have remained suspicious that the North’s leader may be more interested in diverting attention from his nation’s nuclear advancements than achieving any lasting reconciliation with the South.

Mr. Kerry appeared to have such concerns on his mind Thursday during a visit to South Korea, where he dismissed the North’s demands that the South back out of upcoming annual military exercises with the U.S.

He also stressed that Washington is “ready and able to deter North Korean aggression.”

Despite long-standing disapproval from the U.N. Security Council, North Korea has conducted nuclear weapons tests in recent years and in April made repeated threats to carry out a nuclear strike against the U.S. mainland.

“Let me be clear,” Mr. Kerry said after a meeting with South Korean Foreign Minister Yun Byung-se in Seoul. “The United States will not accept North Korea as a nuclear-armed state.”

Mr. Kerry also said that while Washington supports the North-South meetings, the U.S. “will not accept talks for the sake of talks.”

The North, he added, has a long track record of skirting obligations to the international community to abandon its nuclear weapons program and must “show that it will live up to its commitments.”

Aside from the nuclear issue, the remark could be read as a backhanded response to North Korea’s flip-flop on Kenneth Bae, an American pastor who has been imprisoned by Pyongyang since 2012.

Mr. Bae, who was working as a tour guide in North Korea at the time of his arrest, has been charged with “crimes against the state” and sentenced to hard labor.

Last month, North Korea suddenly allowed a video of an exhausted-looking Mr. Bae to circulate through the world’s media. When the North then invited U.S. envoy Robert King to come and discuss Mr. Bae’s status, hopes surged in Washington that Pyongyang may be nearing a decision to release the American.

Those hopes were dashed when North Korea abruptly canceled the invitation at the start of this week, days before Mr. Kerry arrived in Seoul.

Story Continues →

View Entire Story

© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

About the Author
Guy Taylor

Guy Taylor

Guy Taylor is the National Security Team Leader at The Washington Times, overseeing the paper’s State Department, Pentagon and intelligence community coverage. He’s also a frequent guest on The McLaughlin Group and C-SPAN.

His series on political, economic and security developments in Mexico won a 2012 Virginia Press Association award.

Prior to rejoining The Times in 2011, his work was ...

Latest Stories

Latest Blog Entries

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks