- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Russian women, Finns in hockey consolation bracket
With a boisterous home crowd at the Shayba Arena cheering them on, the Russians swept through the round-robin unbeaten and earned a berth in the quarterfinals. But a 2-0 loss to Switzerland in the playoffs eliminated the hosts from medal contention, with a chance to finish no better than fifth.
“We are not a fancy team; Finland is much more skilled than us,” Sweden assistant coach Leif Boork said. “But, as you all know, you can win games in different ways. Good character and hard work can do that, and today it was our time to do that.”
With its victory on Saturday, Switzerland advances to Monday’s semifinals to play unbeaten Canada. Sweden will play the United States in a rematch of the 2006 semifinal in which the Swedes knocked off the Americans - the only time in the history of Olympic women’s hockey that either of the North American teams has lost to anyone except each other.
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Vietnam says it may have found door of missing Malaysian jet as intel look into stolen passports
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- PIPES: Islam's inadvertent adverse effects on adherents
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- Italy outraged over U.S. gun dealer's 'David' ad
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again