- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
County’s lone trial judge retiring this year
Question of the Day
CORUNNA, Mich. (AP) - A man who has been the only Circuit Court judge in Shiawassee County for nearly 30 years says he won’t run for re-election in 2014.
Gerald Lostracco could run one more time before turning age 70, the limit under Michigan law, but said a three-decade career is a good run “by any standard.”
Attorney Matt McKone told The Flint Journal (http://bit.ly/1f3ZomN ) that the small county, west of Flint, is losing a pillar of the community. Prosecutor Deana Finnegan said she cried when she heard the news.
Lostracco, 68, was first elected in 1985. Only two people have been Circuit Court judge since 1974.
His cases include the 2009 trial of Harlan Drake, who killed an Owosso abortion protester and a businessman. Drake was convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to a mandatory term of life in prison.
Drake called Lostracco a hypocrite. The judge said he regretted that he could not order “hard labor.”
“He never legislates from the bench,” she said. “He follows the law.”
Retirement might give him more time for a pastime: the accordion.
“Everybody has to have an outlet to maintain your sanity,” Lostracco said.
Information from: The Flint Journal, http://www.mlive.com/flint
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Obama takes aim at 'corporate deserters'
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Michael Moore, movie-making critic of capitalism, has nine homes
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq