- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Nationals’ Stephen Strasburg transitioning from phenom to veteran
Question of the Day
And so he works on the details, instead. He varied his slide step and his looks toward home plate on Sunday. Williams, a details man himself, noticed immediately and believes that attitude can filter down to other players.
Strasburg isn’t quite a veteran yet, though. He says he can’t wait to pick the brain of new Nats pitcher Doug Fister, 29, who was acquired from Detroit in an offseason trade. But with promising young arms again rising through the Washington farm system – Lucas Giolito and A.J. Cole among them – that day of serving as a mentor to others isn’t far off. For now, Strasburg continues his own learning curve.
“You want the younger guys to be approachable and that if they have any questions, I try to help them the best I can,” Strasburg said. “But at the same time I don’t feel like I have all the answers, either.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Brian Orakpo vows contract won't be an issue in 2014
- Redskins call Richmond their summer home
- Jayson Werth's hit, Anthony Rendon's hustle lift Nats past Brewers
- Nationals sign first-round draft pick Erick Fedde, but lose two other selections
- Strasburg, Nats fall to Brewers as second half opens
Latest Blog Entries
Undocumented immigrants are proud and loud now with their demands
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world