- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
- New evidence could threaten Army sex assault case
- George Zimmerman signs autographs at Orlando gun show
- GOP lawmaker faces fire for NBA crime tweet
- Taliban vow to ‘use all force’ to disrupt Afghan elections
- Atheists sue to remove ‘Ground Zero Cross’ from 9/11 museum
- Bishop in Aleppo: ‘We Christians live in fear in Syria’
- Oscar Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
Bill Clinton in Haiti to visit projects
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) - Bill Clinton arrived in Haiti Monday to shine a spotlight on some of the projects that his private foundation has supported to help the country recover from a devastating earthquake in 2010.
The former U.S. president began the visit with a tour at a solar-powered primary school in Cite Soleil, a forsaken seaside slum that is one of the Caribbean nation’s poorest neighborhoods.
The Clinton Foundation helped the Institution Mixte Union des Apotres-Prodev plant trees and a garden, meant to help feed the school’s 200 students. And it helped organize a donation of 64 solar panels by NRG Energy Inc. valued at $100,000.
“This is going to be a complete - not only educational but neighborhood experience,” Clinton told reporters. “It’s a good model.”
During his visit, Clinton will also tour a training school for Haitian coffee farmers in a remote village as well as a recycling center and a new apparel manufacturer that invests part of its profits in its employees and their families.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- Charges filed against accused 'shadow campaign' financier
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again