- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
MILLER: Playing through: Obama spends holiday at Palm Springs golf course favored by GOPers
Question of the Day
By happenstance, President Obama spent the federal holiday honoring his office by hitting the greens at a golf course frequented by past presidents.
Mr. Obama hit the links on Monday at Sunnylands Golf Course in Palm Springs with his buddies Bobby Titcomb, Greg Orme and Michael Ramos.
This is the second time he has played the course since he arrived in California on Friday for a meeting with King Abdullah II of Jordan at the Rancho Mirage estate owned by the Annenberg family.
The double-looping, nine-hole course was built in the 1960s. Republicans Presidents Dwight Eisenhower, Richard Nixon, George H.W. Bush and Ronald Reagan have teed it up there over the years.
Mr. Nixon, who lived at the Annenberg Estate after his resignation, gave the family a magnolia tree in 1972 that is planted on the seventh hole.
Mr. Reagan had a regular New Year’s Eve game for several years with his Secretary of State George Shultz at Sunnylands.
Mr. Obama’s round Monday is No. 162 of his five-year presidency.
He is showing the nation that taking the day off from school and work to honor the presidency means nothing more than playing a round of golf out of view of the public.
Emily Miller is senior editor of opinion for The Washington Times and author of“Emily Gets Her Gun” (Regnery, 2013).
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Emily Miller is senior editor of opinion for The Washington Times. She is the author of “Emily Gets Her Gun … But Obama Wants to Take Yours” (Regnery 2013). Miller won the 2012 Clark Mollenhoff Award for Investigative Reporting from the Institute on Political Journalism.
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek tax investigation follows D.C. conviction for muzzleloader bullet ammunition
- MILLER: Harry Reid's hypocrisy on 'Equal Pay Day': No women on top leadership staff
- MILLER: Maryland bathroom bill for transgenders is part of LGBT lobby for sex-change rights
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek surrenders to D.C. police 'Gun Offenders Registry'
- MILLER: Michelle Obama has media blackout in China while touting freedom of press
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Scott Pinsker
Get Breaking Alerts
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals