- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
Protesting artist smashes $1 million vase at Miami museum
Question of the Day
A Miami artist protesting an exhibition at the new Pérez Art Museum broke a million-dollar vase and was charged with criminal mischief, police said.
Maximo Caminero, 51, was in the museum on Sunday when he picked up an Ai Weiwei vase, the police report said.
A security guard told Mr. Caminero to put the vase down, but he “threw and broke the vase on the floor in protest,” the report said.
Mr. Caminero then “spontaneously told [police] that he broke the vase in protest of local artists and that the museum only displayed international artists,” the report said.
The vase, which could be as much as 7,000 years old, is part of the “Ai Weiwei: According To What?” exhibit that runs until March 16.
Last year his work went on display at Babacar M’Bow’s Multitudes Contemporary Art Gallery in Little Haiti, The Times said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Border agents detain Boy Scout troop for taking photo, troop leader says
- Wikipedia imposes editing ban on House staffers
- Fla. Republican to push bill mandating D'Souza's 'America' film in public schools
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- Boko Haram abducts wife of Cameroon's vice prime minister
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Pentagon running out of time to find mass of missing weapons in Afghanistan
- Federal judge rules D.C. ban on handguns in public is unconstitutional
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- The List: Top 20 TV medical shows
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq