- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
SOCHI SCENE: #DawnsEarlyLight
Question of the Day
SOCHI, Russia (AP) - The U.S. women’s hockey team has come up with a clever way to attract fans back home to watch its games live - hashtagging the second line of the American national anthem.
The #DawnsEarlyLight hashtag is reminding fans in the United States to wake up early to watch their team, a favorite along with Canada in the Sochi Games. A USA Hockey staffer came up with the idea, playing off the lyrics: “By the dawn’s early light.”
Here’s a USA Hockey tweet using the hashtag: https://twitter.com/usahockey/status/435386740682289152
The hashtag was active during the first period of Team USA’s semifinal with Sweden on Monday night, though mostly among hardcore fans. The rest of America was paying attention, apparently, too - #womenshockey and #TeamUSA were trending nationwide.
Hockey topics, meanwhile, did not appear to be trending on Twitter in Sweden.
- By Oskar Garcia - Twitter http://twitter.com/oskargarcia
Associated Press reporters are filing dispatches about happenings in and around Sochi during the 2014 Winter Games. Follow AP journalists covering the Olympics on Twitter: http://apne.ws/1c3WMiu
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- Calif. dolls were meant to spread cheer, not chill
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq