- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Human lung made in lab for first time
Question of the Day
Scientists have created human lungs in a lab, and Joan Nichols, a researcher at the University of Texas Medical Branch, couldn't be happier.
"It's been science fiction and we're moving into science fact," she told CNN.
Scientists don't expect to try the new technology in humans within the decade, but they do plan on experimenting on pigs, Miss Nichols said.
CNN senior medical correspondent Elizabeth Cohen, who called it the dawn of "a new era of engineered body parts," said other body parts are even further along than the lung, such as the human trachea.
"It's so darn cool," Miss Nichols said of the process, in which researchers in Galveston, Texas, used donated lung tissue from car accident victims to make the breakthrough happen.
Scientists used a scaffolding of collagen and elastin from one set of lungs and cells from another, then soaked them in a special nutrient-rich fluid, resulting four weeks later in an engineered human lung, CNN reported.
Ms. Nichols told CNN she thinks human testing for lungs may happen in roughly 12 years.
"My students will be doing the work when I'm old and retired and can't hold a pipette anymore," she said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring 'God's Rescue Squad'
- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- Gen. Martin Dempsey: U.S. viewing decades-old Russian readiness plan
- Russia sends Iraq fighter jets, helicopter gunships for ISIL fight after meeting in Moscow
Latest Blog Entries
- HuffPo: Denying women 'moral abortions' destroys 'soul freedom'
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
TWT Video Picks
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Inside the Beltway: Republican posse rides out to fire Harry Reid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- KUHNER: Will Russia-Ukraine be Europe's next war?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq