DeAngelo Hall is close to returning to the Washington Redskins on a multi-year contract, a person involved in the process said Tuesday afternoon.
Multiple outlets reported that the cornerback had signed a four-year deal, but that individual said only that the two sides were “progressing” and remained “hopeful” an agreement, which had not yet been signed, would be reached shortly.
Regardless, Hall posted a message on Twitter that he was returning to the team for which he has played for parts of the last six seasons, and his business manager also wrote a message to him congratulating him on his return.
“I’m back [little] bro,” Hall wrote to Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III. “Let’s be great.”
Hall, 30, is coming off one of the best seasons of his 10-year career. He had 57 tackles and four interceptions and forced three fumbles in 2013 and was frequently tasked with covering his opponent’s top target, including Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson and Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant.
Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said last month after a Senior Bowl practice that the team would like to have Hall back. He played last season under a one-year, $1.25 million contract after being cut by the Redskins during the offseason for salary cap purposes.
Hall has started every game each of the last four seasons and would figure to continue to do so should he return to the team. The Redskins‘ other starting cornerback, Josh Wilson, is also a free agent, as is backup E.J. Biggers.
Including Hall, the Redskins currently have 20 players – and seven defensive starters – set to become free agents when the new league year begins on March 11.
NBC Washington, CBS Sports and NFL Network were among the media outlets who reported Hall had signed a deal Tuesday afternoon.