- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
- FBI failed to throughly vet Boston bombing suspect after Russian lead, report finds
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He’s a ‘scumbag’
- University: Help, our campus is too white
RHP Justin Masterson, Indians agree at $9,762,500
The agreement Tuesday was $162,500 below midpoint of the $11.8 million he had asked for and the $8.05 million Cleveland had offered when players and teams swapped proposed arbitration salaries last month.
Masterson’s request was the highest among players who exchanged figures. A hearing had been scheduled for Thursday.
Masterson will be eligible for free agency after this season.
Teams have won two of three cases that went to hearings, with the Indians beating pitchers Vinnie Pestano and Josh Tomlin in Cleveland’s first hearings since 1991. Pitcher Andrew Cashner defeated San Diego in the only other hearing.
Two players remained scheduled for hearings this week: Cincinnati right-hander Homer Bailey and San Francisco first baseman Brandon Belt. Bailey said Monday he was closed to agreement on a multiyear contract.
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Al Qaeda mocks U.S. in 'extraordinary' Yemen gathering; experts fear C.I.A. caught flat-footed
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Wal-Mart forced to apologize for 'mistake' favoring English-speaking shoppers
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes