- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
SANDS: If you knew Sochi like chess players knew Sochi
Question of the Day
1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.f4 O-O 6. Nf3 c5 7.d5 e6 8.Be2 exd5 9.exd5 Bf5 10.O-O Ne4 11.Nxe4 Bxe4 12.Ng5 Bf5 13.g4 Bc8 14.f5 Nd7 15.fxg6 hxg6 16.Qe1 Nf6 17.Qh4 Re8 18.Bd3 Qe7 19.Bd2 Bxg4 20.Rae1 Qd7 21.Rxe8+ Rxe8 22.Bc3 Bf5 23.Bxf5 gxf5 24.Kh1 Re5 25.Rg1 f4 26.Qxf4 Rf5 27.Qh4 Qe7 28.Nh7 Qe2 9.Nxf6+ Kf8 30.Qh8+ Black resigns.
Tal-Szabo, Chigorin Memorial, Sochi, Russia, 1973
1.e4 g6 2.d4 Bg7 3.Nc3 d6 4.f4 a6 5.Nf3 b5 6.Bd3 Bb7 7.Qe2 c5 8.dxc5 dxc5 9.e5 Nc6 10.Be3 Nd4 11.Nxd4 cxd4 12.O-O-O b4 13.Ne4 Nh6 14.Bxd4 O-O 15.Bc5 Qa5 16.Bxe7 Rfe8 17.Bd6 Qxa2 18.Bxb4 Bxe4 19.Qxe4 Ng4 20.Bc4 Qa1+ 21.Kd2 Qxb2 22.Bxf7+ Kxf7 23.Qd5+ Re6 24.Qb7+ Re7 25.Qxe7+ Kg8 26.Qe6+ Kh8 27.Qc4 Nxe5 28.fxe5 Qxe5 29.c3 a5 30.Qc6 Rb8 31.Rhe1 Bh6+ 32.Kc2 Qf5+ 33.Qe4 Qc8 34. Rd7 axb4 35.Qe5+ Kg8 36.Qe6+ Black resigns.
• David R. Sands can be reached at 202/636-3178 or by email at email@example.com.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Raised in Northern Virginia, David R. Sands received an undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia and a master’s degree from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University. He worked as a reporter for several Washington-area business publications before joining The Washington Times.
At The Times, Mr. Sands has covered numerous beats, including international trade, banking, politics ...
- SANDS: Song soars with dramatic Cadet chess victory
- SANDS: Cadets battle as D.C. summer chess scene heats up
- SANDS: Winners take three paths to the top at the 42nd World Chess Open
- SANDS: Ortiz Suarez wins D.C., Smirin wins the World
- SANDS: Fourth time a charm as Troff captures U.S. junior chess title
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- Houston mayor: Sorry that police put man's blind dog on road to die
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors