- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Swiss Air Force wasn’t clocked in for hijacked plane; French, Italian escorts scrambled
French and Italian aircraft had to be scrambled in response to a hijacked plane in Swiss airspace on Tuesday. The reason: The emergency took place outside the Swiss Air Force’s office hours for intervention.
French Mirage 2000s escorted the Boeing 767 Ethiopian Airlines Enterprise flight, which originated from Addis Ababa to Geneva; 202 passengers were on board. Swiss airspace is monitored around the clock, but its fighters only intervene after 8 a.m. — the hijacking occurred shortly after 6 a.m.
The event isn’t new to the Swiss Air Force, either. Austrian aircraft were called upon to help out during the World Economic Forum 2014 in Davos in January and during the European Football Championship in 2008, Bloomberg News said.
The Ethiopian co-pilot faces as many as 20 years in prison if he is denied asylum and convicted of the crime, Bloomberg News reported.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Attacks, rapes and forced conversions to Islam spike for Egypt's Christian women: report
- 'I Am Alive' app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Philadelphia using high-frequency sonic waves to chase off teenagers, improve security
- Teen from 'Jihad Jane' plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Hagel to Ukraine: We can give you helmets, sleeping mats, non-lethal aid to counter Russians
Latest Blog Entries
- HuffPo: Denying women 'moral abortions' destroys 'soul freedom'
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.