- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Match Play at a glance
Question of the Day
MARANA, Ariz. (AP) - A brief look at the first round of the Match Play Championship on Wednesday at The Ritz-Carlton Golf Club at Dove Mountain:
Shot of the day: Top-seeded Henrik Stenson hit a 65-yard bunker shot to 2½ feet to set up a par win on the par-4 14th that pulled him even with Kiradech Aphibarnrat. Stenson won Nos. 16 and 17 with birdies in a 2-and-1 victory.
Shortest day: Billy Horschel finished off Jamie Donaldson on No. 13 in a 6-and-5 victory.
Longest day: Sergio Garcia edged Marc Leishman on the 22nd hole.
English implosion: U.S. Open champion Justin Rose was the only of the five English players to advance. Luke Donald, the 2011 winner, dropped out along with 2010 champion Ian Poulter, Lee Westwood and David Lynn.
Stat of the day: Eight players who trailed with six holes remaining went on to win.
Thursday’s key matches: Henrik Stenson vs. Louis Oosthuizen, Rory McIlroy vs. Harris English, Jimmy Walker vs. Rickie Fowler, Matt Kuchar vs. Ryan Moore, Justin Rose vs. Ernie Els, and Brandt Snedeker vs. Webb Simpson.
Forecast: Thursday, sunny, high of 75 with wind gusting to 15 mph.
Television: Thursday, Golf Channel, 1-6 p.m. EST, replay 6:30-11:30 p.m. EST.
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world