- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Match Play at a glance
Question of the Day
MARANA, Ariz. (AP) - A brief look at the first round of the Match Play Championship on Wednesday at The Ritz-Carlton Golf Club at Dove Mountain:
Shot of the day: Top-seeded Henrik Stenson hit a 65-yard bunker shot to 2½ feet to set up a par win on the par-4 14th that pulled him even with Kiradech Aphibarnrat. Stenson won Nos. 16 and 17 with birdies in a 2-and-1 victory.
Shortest day: Billy Horschel finished off Jamie Donaldson on No. 13 in a 6-and-5 victory.
Longest day: Sergio Garcia edged Marc Leishman on the 22nd hole.
English implosion: U.S. Open champion Justin Rose was the only of the five English players to advance. Luke Donald, the 2011 winner, dropped out along with 2010 champion Ian Poulter, Lee Westwood and David Lynn.
Stat of the day: Eight players who trailed with six holes remaining went on to win.
Thursday’s key matches: Henrik Stenson vs. Louis Oosthuizen, Rory McIlroy vs. Harris English, Jimmy Walker vs. Rickie Fowler, Matt Kuchar vs. Ryan Moore, Justin Rose vs. Ernie Els, and Brandt Snedeker vs. Webb Simpson.
Forecast: Thursday, sunny, high of 75 with wind gusting to 15 mph.
Television: Thursday, Golf Channel, 1-6 p.m. EST, replay 6:30-11:30 p.m. EST.
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq