- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
Coke Zero: Advocacy group says Coca-Cola hurts Olympians
On Thursday, a nutritional advocacy group slammed the soft drink company for an ad that aired during NBC’s Olympics broadcast featuring Ted Ligety, who became the first American to take gold in the men’s giant slalom Wednesday.
“Ted Ligety drinks a Coke before every race,” read words floating in bubbles in the 15-second spot “Superstition? Or Super Power?”
Jim O’Hara, health promotion policy director at the Center for Science in the Public Interest, was incensed.
“Who knows how many young girls and boys might have seen Coca-Cola’s reckless and irresponsible ad on the Olympics broadcast last night suggesting that Ted Ligety’s success is due to his consumption of Coca-Cola,” Mr. O’Hara said in a statement Thursday.
Members of the group — which also include figure skating legend Michelle Kwan, 2010 figure skating gold medalist Evan Lysacek and Amy Purdy, three-time world champion in para-snowboarding — also will serve as “Ambassadors of Active Living” “to encourage and inspire fans to lead healthy, balanced lifestyles,” according to the company.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
David Sherfinski covers politics for The Washington Times. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- Michael Bloomberg charts $50M challenge to NRA: 'Got to make them afraid'
- McAuliffe's PAC off to fast start, with $254,000 raised in two weeks
- Virginia Republican Bob Marshall stands by remarks that raise eyebrows
- Obama urged to enforce ban on importing military-style firearms
- Va. Senate approves Medicaid expansion, but budget stands no chance in House
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By returning to Christian roots, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.