- Muslim insurgents shoot then set on fire Buddhist teacher in Thailand
- Air Force cadets ‘revolt’ after officials remove biblical verse from whiteboard
- Rep. Lee: Paul Ryan out of touch with urban Americans
- House votes down resolution to force Issa to apologize
- Kremlin blocks opposition websites; Kasparov fears Putin plans ‘something drastic’
- Saving trees? EPA wastes $1.5 million storing unneeded pamphlets in warehouse
- Scott Brown Senate bid in New Hampshire may launch soon
- Jeffrey Corzine, son of ex-N.J. governor, dead at 31
- Australian surfing magazine sorry for calling indigenous surfer ‘apeish’
- Records: Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting
Oh, Joe! Biden insists Obamacare is off to ‘hell of a start’
Vice President Joseph Biden used a quick stop in Minneapolis to tout the rollout of Obamacare, even as he acknowledged that sign-ups could fall short of goals, according to CNN.
The outlet reported that Mr. Biden, during an unannounced visit to a coffee shop, spoke with a group of women who signed up for health plans through the Affordable Care Act's new marketplace.
"Initially we talked about by the end of this period having seven million people lined up. We may not get to seven, we may get to five or six, and that's a hell of a start," Mr. Biden said Wednesday, according to CNN.
Americans have until March 31 to sign up for private health coverage on one of the new law's state-based health exchanges.
The Congressional Budget Office initially estimated that 7 million people would sign up between Oct. 1 and the end of March, although it revised that figure down to 6 million after the botched rollout of HealthCare.gov, the main federal website tied to the overhaul.
The Obama administration said this month that more than 3 million people had signed up for private coverage through the end of January.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Tom Howell Jr. covers politics for The Washington Times. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Brief bipartisanship period over Medicare 'doc fix' breaks down
- House GOP: Obama administration abandoning 'individual mandate,' should surrender to repeal
- Where's Obamacare? — Rural Virginians choose free clinic over government red tape
- Obama threatens to veto Medicare-reform bill
- Sebelius sticks to Obamacare sign-up deadline
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- Senators deluged by complaints void 2-year-old flood insurance plan before 10-day break
- Justice Department refuses info on hundreds of prosecutor misconduct cases
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- Warren Buffett's son to spend $23.7 million in effort to save South African rhinos
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again