- Half of Americans worried about second Cold War: poll
- Kermit Gosnell clinic aide who heard aborted baby scream gets 5 to 10 years in prison
- Iraq mulls law to let men marry 8-year-old girls
- Russia sends bombers on 24-hour Arctic patrol
- Sam Adams beer brewer nixes St. Patrick’s parade that won’t allow gays
- Houston dad kills boy, 17, in daughter’s room in mistaken ID tragedy
- Rep. David Jolly ready to work with Democrats on compromise
- Joe Biden: I can’t be president — my golf would suffer
- German authorities grab suspected hardline Islamist
- Rare lesbian HIV transmission case turns up in Texas
Drug overdoses kill 7 more people in RI in 5 days
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - Rhode Island health officials say seven more people have died from drug overdoses in the state since Friday, bringing this year’s total to 45.
State Health Director Michael Fine announced the deaths Wednesday night at a community forum on overdose prevention at Miriam Hospital in Providence.
The number of overdose deaths in the state so far in 2014 is twice the average amount.
Fine said the prescription painkiller fentanyl was found in the blood of 28 of the people who died. Fentanyl is being blamed for dozens of recent overdose deaths across the country, including among some who injected a heroin-fentanyl mix.
Relatives of overdose victims shared their stories at the forum, which also was attended by government, police and health leaders.
TWT Video Picks
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Sam Adams beer brewer nixes St. Patrick's parade that won't allow gays
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- Deportations come mostly from border, DHS chief says
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- EDITORIAL: Lois Lerner's dilemma
- BRUCE: The power of bossy
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014