- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Mass. gives green light to gas-fired power plant
Question of the Day
SALEM, Mass. (AP) - Massachusetts environmental officials have signed off on all the state and local permits and approvals needed for construction of a proposed 692-megawatt natural gas-fired power plant at the site of the existing Salem Harbor Station.
The approvals come after plant owners Footprint Power and an environmental group settled a legal dispute this week that will allow the $800 million project to proceed.
Under the settlement with the Conservation Law Foundation, the Bridgewater, N.J.-based company agreed to reduce greenhouse gas emissions annually over the life of the plant to meet the goals of a state law aimed at addressing climate change.
Footprint also agreed to shut the plant by the end of 2049.
The settlement makes Footprint the nation’s first gas-fired plant to be approved with such stringent environmental provisions.
TWT Video Picks
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Islamic militants seize Benghazi as U.S. evacuates Libya
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world