- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Paxton 39, Chipley 34
LAKELAND, Fla. (AP) - Emily Murray scored the game’s final seven points to lead Paxton to a 39-34 victory over Chipley in the Florida Class 1A girls basketball championship game.
With Chipley leading 34-32, Murray hit a go-ahead 3-pointer from the wing Thursday to give Paxton (26-3) a 35-34 lead. After Chipley failed to convert on its next possession, the officials determined that Karlisha Works’ foul on Murray was intentional, giving Paxton two free throws and the ball.
Murray hit both free throws to extend the lead to three and was fouled again after catching the inbounds pass and sank two more to ice the game.
Chipley (26-6) led 21-18 at halftime and had a 25-20 lead midway through the third period before Paxton went on a 10-0 run to take a 30-25 lead into the fourth period. Chipley rallied, using a 7-0 run in the fourth to take the lead back before Murray took over the in the game’s final minute.
Murray finished with a game-high 20 points while Bethany Neale added six points and 11 rebounds for Paxton. Amanda Paschal had 16 points and 10 rebounds for Chipley.
By Tammy Bruce
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Christine O'Donnell eager to re-engage in political debate
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again