- Extra-time goal gives Germany World Cup title over Argentina
- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
USDA releases key Census of Agriculture report
Question of the Day
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A new report from the U.S. Department of Agriculture says the number of farms in Nebraska has increased, opposite the national trend which shows farm numbers declining more than 4 percent from 2007 to 2012.
Nebraska saw the number of farms increase 4.7 percent to 49,969 in that time period.
The Census of Agriculture, a report released every five years, updates a wide range of agricultural statistics as of 2012. It was released Thursday.
The report says the average size of a Nebraska farm fell to 907 acres from 953 acres.
Land farmed in Nebraska fell about 148,000 acres to 45.3 million.
The market value of agricultural products sold surged nearly 49 percent to just over $23 billion.
The average age of a farmer remains 55.
TWT Video Picks
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- DOJ investigates Nebraska parade float critical of Obama
- Jersey City Mayor: Cop killer lay in wait for police to arrive
- 'Be a leader' Perry tells Obama to confront border crisis
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- Germany wins World Cup title on Mario Goetze goal in extra time
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs