- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Adelina Sotnikova’s home-cooked Olympics win prompts change.org petition
Question of the Day
More than 1.5. million people have signed a petition on Change.org that demands an investigation into the ladies figure skating competition at the Olympic Games in Sochi.
The skating world and fans were buzzing Thursday, after 17-year-old Russian skater Adelina Sotnikova edged out reigning Olympic champion Yuna Kim of South Korea for the gold medal.
While Ms. Sotnikova is hailed as a hero in Russia, the games’ the host country, some pundits are questioning how the contest was scored after watching Ms. Kim’s graceful performance.
The accusations of “home cooking” among the judges are sure to roil the sport and may force judges to no longer score the skaters anonymously.
But a petition author listed as “Justice Seeker” hopped on Change.org — an activism website more commonly associated with social justice and public policy campaigns — to immediately to demand answers and “rejudgement” of Thursday’s skating competition.
The petition is written in wobbly English and lists tweets from former skaters and observers of the sport who questioned the result and said Ms Kim “was robbed.”
The author said “the score in the free program has added on to the unfairness of what’s supposed to be the fairest of all competitions — the Olympics. The corruption needs to be made visible and needs to be corrected.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Tom Howell Jr. covers politics for The Washington Times. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- House panel OKs resolution to sue president for Obamacare delays
- Contrasting judgments on Obama's health care hours apart; appeals court calls subsidies unlawful
- New Democratic caucus will pressure GOP governors to expand Medicaid
- Insurers cough up refunds to subscribers under Obamacare ‘80-20 rule’
- GOP outraged Obamacare investigators able to get coverage with fake IDs
Latest Blog Entries
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Inside China: Massive flight woes and a missile test
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq