- Saving trees? EPA wastes $1.5 million storing unneeded pamphlets in warehouse
- Scott Brown Senate bid in New Hampshire may launch soon
- Jeffrey Corzine, son of ex-N.J. governor, dead at 31
- Australian surfing magazine sorry for calling indigenous surfer ‘apeish’
- Records: Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting
- The Putin problem: U.S. needs Russian rockets for spy satellites
- Florida cops ticket toddler in toy convertible: report
- Kerry warns of ‘very serious’ response to Crimea-Russia alliance
- Fla. Rep. Alan Grayson’s wife drops restraining order against him
- McDonald’s lawsuits filed over wages ‘stolen’ like Hamburglar steals Big Macs
Detroit’s Zetterberg has back surgery
Zetterberg played through pain and scored a goal in Sweden’s opening victory over the Czech Republic last week at the Sochi Olympics, but that was his only appearance before he left because of a herniated disk.
Zetterberg has 16 goals and 32 assists in 45 games for the Red Wings this season. Detroit is fighting for a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference, and it now seems the Red Wings will be without the 33-year-old center for most if not all of the stretch run.
Zetterberg’s nagging back injury kept him out of several games with the Red Wings earlier this season. If the season ended now, Detroit would hold the last postseason spot in the East, but the franchise’s streak of playoff appearances has looked increasingly tenuous lately.
The Red Wings haven’t missed the postseason since 1990. They finished third in their division last year but were able to beat Anaheim in the first round and then took eventual champion Chicago to seven games before being eliminated.
Zetterberg has 12 more points this season than any other Detroit player. Defenseman Niklas Kronwall is second on the team with 36 points.
By Emily Miller
Obama is losing the debate on gun ownership, concealed-carry permits
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- GOP bill tries to pull courts into fight with Obama on executive power, enforcing laws
- MILLER: Law enforcement realizes good people with guns deter crime
- NRA shirt gets N.Y. high school student suspended
- VIDEO: Emily Miller on Fox Business on Vivec Murthy for surgeon general and smart guns
- Ben Carson: America's now 'very much like Nazi Germany'
- After three days, Redskins finally address defensive needs
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again