- Air Force cadets ‘revolt’ after officials remove biblical verse from whiteboard
- Rep. Lee: Paul Ryan out of touch with urban Americans
- House votes down resolution to force Issa to apologize
- Kremlin blocks opposition websites; Kasparov fears Putin plans ‘something drastic’
- Saving trees? EPA wastes $1.5 million storing unneeded pamphlets in warehouse
- Scott Brown Senate bid in New Hampshire may launch soon
- Jeffrey Corzine, son of ex-N.J. governor, dead at 31
- Australian surfing magazine sorry for calling indigenous surfer ‘apeish’
- Records: Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting
- The Putin problem: U.S. needs Russian rockets for spy satellites
News briefs from around Tennessee at 1:58 a.m. EST
Friday, February 21, 2014
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) - The mother of a disabled Tennessee girl who died from gangrene and infected bedsores due to neglect has been arrested in New Orleans, authorities said Thursday.
The girl’s father, Errol Johnson, and health care worker Chasara Jones also are charged with first-degree murder in what authorities are calling one of the worst child-neglect cases police have ever seen in Tennessee.
The Millington, Tenn., girl died in November 2012. Officials say an autopsy revealed she died from sepsis from gangrene.
Wayne County Sheriff’s Detective Joe Gardner tells WSAV-TV it happened after the crew had placed a mattress on a set of railroad tracks in Doctortown while filming the movie “Midnight Rider.”
Authorities have said several other crew members were injured and details on their injuries weren’t immediately available. Sheriff John Carter told WTOC-TV that two of the crew members sustained serious injuries.
Gardner says the crew was affiliated with a Savannah-based production company. Studio representatives were unavailable for comment Thursday.
Sheriff’s officials haven’t released the woman’s identity, and officials from CSX rail company say they’re working with authorities on the investigation.
TWT Video Picks
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Warren Buffett's son to spend $23.7 million in effort to save South African rhinos
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- Justice Department refuses info on hundreds of prosecutor misconduct cases
- MILLER: Law enforcement realizes good people with guns deter crime
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again