- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Ambitious Brew wins Sensational Star Stakes
ARCADIA, Calif. (AP) - Ambitious Brew upset 4-5 favorite Lakerville to win the $100,000 Sensational Star Stakes at Santa Anita by 1½ lengths on Saturday.
Ridden by Brice Blanc, the 4-year-old gelding covered 6½ furlongs down the hillside turf in 1:12 and paid $8, $3.40 and $2.60.
He was the 3-1 second choice in a field of six older horses bred in California and now has four wins and three seconds from seven starts.
Lakerville paid $2.60 and $2.20 and Summer Hit paid $2.40 to show.
Lakerville ran fifth down the hill, swung wide turning for home and appeared to have dead aim on the winner but was outrun through the drive.
“This race came up a little tougher than I thought it was, but he was still able to handle it,” Ambitious Brew’s trainer Marty Jones said. “He was just having fun out there. Brice rode him perfect. He rode him with confidence.”
The win, worth $60,000, increased Ambitious Brew’s earnings to $227,920.
By Tammy Bruce
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Christine O'Donnell eager to re-engage in political debate
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again