- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Army’s 3-D printed bombs will create ‘a whole new universe’ of deadly capabilities
- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
- U.S. chemical sites vulnerable despite millions spent on security: Congress
- Driverless cars to hit the British streets by 2015
Minn. wineries promoting California-style tours
Question of the Day
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - Minnesota wineries have begun teaming up with hotels and restaurants to promote California-style tours, saying the industry is finally established enough to create a larger tourist destination.
The Minnesota Grape Growers Association is holding its annual Cold Climate Conference this weekend in St. Paul. Members there said they’re just beginning to touch on ways to draw more tourists to the area, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reported (http://bit.ly/Oo29o2 ).
For example, Wild Mountain Winery in Taylors Falls teamed up with three neighboring wineries to launch the Upper St. Croix Valley Wine Trail. They’re hoping to lure day-trippers and wine lovers who’ll stop at each of the four destinations, said Irv Geary, head wine-maker at Wild Mountain.
Geary said the wineries teamed up with limousine companies to offer a tour. He said the offering, coupled with hotels, restaurants and state parks, makes the region even more of a tourist destination.
The industry has grown substantially in the last few decades. From a single licensed winery in 1976, the state now has 43, and industry experts predict continued growth.
A lot of the credit goes to the University of Minnesota. Researchers there have bred cold-tolerant grape varieties that can endure a northern winter and still produce a quality wine.
Information from: St. Paul Pioneer Press, http://www.twincities.com
TWT Video Picks
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Senate overcomes first filibuster of Obama's border-spending bill
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world