- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
- San Diego Costco, Target shoppers shocked by plane crash in parking lot
- George W. Bush penning biography of father
- Israel vows to destroy Hamas tunnels
- Spain evacuates staff from embassy in Libya
- Peace Corps evacuates over Ebola fears; 2 volunteers isolated
- House overwhelmingly approves $16 billion cash infusion for VA overhaul
- Obama admin to blame for HealthCare.gov woes, $840M cost: GAO
Tenants could pay for retrofitting under proposal
Question of the Day
LOS ANGELES (AP) - The cost of seismically retrofitting Los Angeles apartment buildings could be passed onto tenants under a proposal from a city council member.
The Los Angeles Times reports Saturday (http://lat.ms/1f9V5Ad) that Councilman Bernard Parks says he wants the city to explore giving apartment owners an exemption from the city’s rent control law to “incentivize retrofitting.”
Currently half the cost of major apartment rehabilitation projects can be passed through to tenants. The Times says Parks wants city staff to evaluate passing through all of the costs to tenants but do it “over a reasonable period of time.”
Many owners say they shouldn’t have to pay for expensive fixes on their own.
In San Francisco, owners are allowed to pass along the retrofit costs to tenants, even those on rent control, over a 20-year period.
Information from: Los Angeles Times, http://www.latimes.com
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Star witness in Bob McDonnell corruption trial refutes 'crush' defense
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world