- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
SOCHI SCENE: Rings, take 2
Question of the Day
SOCHI, Russia (AP) - This time, Sochi got the Olympic rings right. And with a little self-deprecating humor, too.
A group of 700 dancers formed the five Olympic rings Sunday night during the closing ceremony at Fisht Stadium, but delayed forming the fifth ring in a humorous nod to a pyrotechnic malfunction during the opening ceremony.
Dancers symbolizing small fish wore flowing, mirrored robes while forming different shapes on the arena floor, including a sea, the infinity symbol and eventually, the rings. Above them, a boat with a clown and a little girl passed in the air.
The crowd cheered when seeing the smaller, filled circle, then roared even more loudly when the dancers spread apart to form the fully-shaped ring.
- By Oskar Garcia - Twitter http://twitter.com/oskargarcia
Associated Press reporters are filing dispatches about happenings in and around Sochi during the 2014 Winter Games. Follow AP journalists covering the Olympics on Twitter: http://apne.ws/1c3WMiu
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world