Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin dismissed Sunday as “old news” questions about whether he knew public employees were doing campaign work during his tenure as Milwaukee County executive.
“That's absolutely not true, and if you look at the facts out there, this is old news,” Mr. Walker told “Fox News Sunday.” “This is about a case that was closed last March. A Democratic district attorney in Milwaukee County spent multiple years looking at all this information.”
The Republican governor has been attacked in television ads run by the Democratic Party of Wisconsin about the episode, which resurfaced last week when investigators released 28,000 pages of documents related to the 2010 case, including email traffic from members of Mr. Walker’s staff when he was county executive.
Six former aides and associates were convicted of various charges related to the illegal campaign activity, but Mr. Walker was never charged.
Mr. Walker chalked up the surge in interest to politics as usual. He faces a re-election campaign in November, and has been frequently mentioned as a possible presidential contender in 2016.
“It's one of those things where they just want to keep pushing this issue into the forefront because in the end the folks running against us can't counter a positive message when it comes to the economy and creating budget surpluses,” said Mr. Walker.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.