- Country singer Tim McGraw not sorry for slapping female fan: ‘Things happen’
- Iraq vet cited for owning 14 therapeutic pet ducks
- White House takes credit for drop in unaccompanied children at border
- International crises be damned, Obama’s fundraising trip must go on
- Friend of bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev found guilty of impeding probe
- Train with MH17 plane crash bodies leaves rebel town in Ukraine
- Half of Colorado voters are OK with Hobby Lobby decision, poll shows
- HIV-killing condom to soon hit shelves in Australia
- Estonia pulls plug on Steven Seagal over praise for Putin
- Lawyer: Pelvic exam pics cost Hopkins $190 million
2 NJ corrections officers accused of assaults
Question of the Day
NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. (AP) - Two corrections officers have been suspended after they allegedly assaulted residents in separate incidents at a New Jersey prison for sex offenders.
Authorities say 45-year-old Michael Higgins of Toms River and 40-year-old Steven Domio of Hillside are both charged with aggravated assault. Each man was arrested Wednesday when they arrived for work at the Adult Diagnostic and Treatment Center in Woodbridge Township, but the arrests were not announced until Monday.
Both were freed after posting bail, but it wasn’t known if either man has retained a lawyer.
Higgins allegedly punched a 32-year-old man in the face and broke his jaw in May 2013. Domio allegedly struck a 21-year-old resident in the face a month earlier, causing bruises and a head laceration.
Both men have been corrections officers since February 2005.
TWT Video Picks
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Jewish woman booted from JetBlue flight over fight with Palestinian
- Edward Snowden to work with Russia on anti-spy technology
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way
- More immigrants deported from New Mexico center
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- Ron Paul: U.S. partly to blame for Malaysia Airlines disaster
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- Pro-Russia rebel commander suggests passengers died days before Malaysian flight
- Vladimir Putin pressured to aid Ukraine plane crash probe, rein in rebels
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq