- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Fred added to Brazil roster; Ronaldinho bypassed
SAO PAULO (AP) - Forward Fred has been added to Brazil’s roster for next week’s exhibition game at South Africa while omitting former star Ronaldinho.
Striker Jo and goalkeeper Jefferson also were added Monday for the March 5 game at Soccer City in Johannesburg.
The 33-year-old Ronaldinho’s chances of making the World Cup are dwindling. Coach Luiz Felipe Scolari is expected to announce his World Cup roster on May 7.
Ronaldinho was a member of Scolari’s team that won the 2002 World Cup. He was selected by Scolari right after he was rehired in late 2012, but the Atletico Mineiro playmaker was left off the Confederations Cup roster last year.
Fred has been a regular in Scolari’s team but there were doubts whether he would be called up because of recent muscle injuries.
Scolari had announced 16 foreign-based players on Jan. 11. Also missing from the initial list were midfielder Kaka and AC Milan teammate Robinho.
Goalkeepers: Jefferson (Botafogo), Julio Cesar (Toronto, Canada)
Defenders: Daniel Alves (Barcelona, Spain), Dante (Bayern Munich, Germany), David Luiz (Chelsea, England), Marcelo (Real Madrid, Spain), Rafinha (Bayern Munich, Germany), Thiago Silva (Paris Saint-Germain, France)
Midfielders: Fernandinho (Manchester City, England), Luiz Gustavo (Wolfsburg, Germany), Oscar (Chelsea, England), Paulinho (Tottenham, England), Ramires (Chelsea, England)
Forwards: Bernard (Shakhtar Donetsk, Ukraine), Fred (Fluminense), Hulk (Zenit St. Petersburg, Russia), Jo (Atletico Mineiro), Neymar (Barcelona, Spain), Willian (Chelsea, England)
Follow Tales Azzoni on Twitter: www.twitter.com/tazzoni
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Hillary swoons at admitted illegal immigrant: 'Wow,' you're 'incredibly brave'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.