- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
Trial delayed for former Southaven mayor
Question of the Day
HERNANDO, Miss. (AP) - The embezzlement trial of former Southaven Mayor Greg Davis has been postponed because a witness has medical problems.
The trial was to have started Monday with jury selection and a ruling on a defense change-of-venue request. The Commercial Appeal reports (http://bit.ly/OnRj1n ) that no new trial date has been set.
He also faces a charge of false pretense involving a $1,000 check he received from the city for a donation intended for the Bully Bloc - a political action committee at his alma mater, Mississippi State University.
Davis‘ defense team asked for a change of venue. During a hearing on the matter Thursday, attorney Steve Farese argued that it would be impossible to select a jury from residents in DeSoto County because of the extensive media coverage of his client’s political, personal and legal issues over the past two years.
DeSoto County District Attorney John Champion maintained during the one-hour hearing that a fair trial could be held in DeSoto County and that Davis initiated a lot of the media coverage by granting media interviews.
Champion requested a chance to impanel a jury, saying that if an impartial jury could not be found, he would go along with the defense’s change of venue request.
Information from: The Commercial Appeal, http://www.commercialappeal.com
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- Obama takes aim at 'corporate deserters'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq