- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Kearney archway museum to reopen Saturday
Question of the Day
KEARNEY, Neb. (AP) - After a two-month closure, the archway museum that straddles Interstate 80 in south-central Nebraska is scheduled to reopen on Saturday.
The Archway will be unveiling its revamped gift shop and the Frank Morrison Theater, the Kearney Hub reported (http://bit.ly/1c4Qu88 ).
Visitors will be able to start their tour in the theater, watching a video about the establishment of The Archway. Known since its opening as the Great Platte River Road Archway, in December the Kearney monument was renamed The Archway.
The Archway foundation’s board of directors said the name change was one of many steps that will be taken to rebrand the facility. Foundation officials said the change will help promote and market the attraction and will simplify Internet searches, travel guide directories and other promotional materials.
The museum has exhibits that commemorate the Oregon, Mormon and California pioneer trails, and it honors the nation’s highway systems and railroads. It has struggled with disappointing attendance since its opening. Nearly 250,000 people visited in 2001, but last year’s attendance was 49,960.
The Archway emerged from bankruptcy in September after it settled more than $20 million in debt with bondholders, vendors and businesses by paying $100,000.
Officials have said they hope that a new interstate exit that opened just east of the arch last year will boost attendance.
Information from: Kearney Hub, http://www.kearneyhub.com/
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq