- House passes VA reform compromise
- Obama admin to blame for HealthCare.gov woes, $840M cost: GAO
- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Army’s 3-D printed bombs will create ‘a whole new universe’ of deadly capabilities
- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
Miss. House passes sales tax holiday for guns
Question of the Day
JACKSON, Miss. (AP) - Plans are moving forward for a Mississippi sales tax holiday for guns, ammunition, bows, arrows and accessories.
The House voted 86-27 to pass House Bill 1404 Tuesday. It would create the Second Amendment Sales Tax Holiday on the first weekend of September. The bill was held up for more work in the House.
House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Jeff Smith, a Columbus Republican, estimated the state would give up $375,000 a year.
The House rejected, on a voice vote, a $100 limit on purchases proposed by Rep. Brad Mayo, an Oxford Republican. That would have matched the limit on items in the state’s back-to-school sales tax holiday.
Louisiana, South Carolina and West Virginia have similar sales tax holidays.
House Speaker Philip Gunn, a Clinton Republican, is the bill’s sponsor.
TWT Video Picks
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- MSNBC's Ronan Farrow questions lack of racial diversity in emoji characters
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama vows veto of House border bill
- ISTOOK: Get ready for super-priced burgers due to NLRB decree
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world