- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
SANDS: Going old school: Big chess milestones for 2014
Question of the Day
Congratulations to the Princeton A squad that won its second consecutive U.S. Amateur Team East championship on tiebreaks last weekend in Parsippany, N.J. It’s only the second repeat champ in the event’s history, which this year attracted a whopping 278 teams. We’ll have more details and some action from the event next week.
1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 Nf6 4.O-O Be7 5.Nc3 Nd4 6.Nxd4 exd4 7.e5 dxc3 8.exf6 Bxf6 9.Re1+ Be7 10.Qe2 c6 11.Bd3 d5 12.dxc3 Be6 13.f4 Bc5+ 14.Kh1 O-O 15.f5 Bd7 16.Qh5 f6 17.Bd2 Be8 18.Qh4 Bf7 19.Rf1 Qd7 20.Rf3 Kh8 21.Rh3 Bg8 22.Be2 Qxf5 23.Bd3 Qf2 24.Qh5 f5 25.Rd1 Bb6 26.b4 Rae8 27.Rf3 Re1+ 28.Rxe1 Qxd2 29.Ref1 g6 30.Qh4 Qxc3 31.Qe7 Rf7 32.Qe8 Qxb4 33.Qe5+ Rg7 34.Qe8 Qe7 35.Re1 Qd6 36.h4 Bc7 37.Rh3 h5 38.c4 Ba5 39.Rf1 Re7 40.Qf8 Kh7 41.Rhf3 Bc7 42.g3 dxc4 43.Rxf5 cxd3 White resigns.
Nimzovich-Tarrasch, St. Petersburg, 1914
1. d4 d5 2. Nf3 c5 3. c4 e6 4. e3 Nf6 5. Bd3 Nc6 6. O-O Bd6 7. b3 O-O 8. Bb2 b6 9. Nbd2 Bb7 10. Rc1 Qe7 11. cxd5.exd5 12. Nh4 g6 13. Nhf3 Rad8 14. dxc5 bxc5 15. Bb5 Ne4 16. Bxc6 Bxc6 17. Qc2 Nxd2 18. Nxd2 d4 19. exd4 Bxh2+ 20. Kxh2 Qh4+ 21. Kg1 Bxg2 Rfe8 23. Ne4 Qh1+ 24. Kf2 Bxf1 25. d5 f5 26. Qc3 Qg2+ 27. Ke3 Rxe4+ 28. fxe4 f4+ 29. Kxf4 Rf8+ 30. Ke5 Qh2+ 31. Ke6 Re8+ 32. Kd7 Bb5 mate.
• David R. Sands can be reached at 202/636-3178 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Raised in Northern Virginia, David R. Sands received an undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia and a master’s degree from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University. He worked as a reporter for several Washington-area business publications before joining The Washington Times.
At The Times, Mr. Sands has covered numerous beats, including international trade, banking, politics ...
- SANDS: Song soars with dramatic Cadet chess victory
- SANDS: Cadets battle as D.C. summer chess scene heats up
- SANDS: Winners take three paths to the top at the 42nd World Chess Open
- SANDS: Ortiz Suarez wins D.C., Smirin wins the World
- SANDS: Fourth time a charm as Troff captures U.S. junior chess title
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors