- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Soldier hides to avoid saluting flag, brags about it on Instagram
Question of the Day
A solider has infuriated the online military community by posting a picture of herself on Instagram hiding in her car to avoid saluting the flag during retreat ceremony, which signals the end of duty for the day.
An Instagram picture of Pfc. Tariqka Sheffey has gone viral. Her post reads:
"This is me laying back in my car hiding so I don't have to salute the 1700 flag, KEEP ALL YOUR 'THATS SO DISRESPECTFUL/HOWRUDE/ETC.' COMMENTS TO YOURSELF cuz, right now, IDGAFFFF."
Pfc. Sheffey is a member of the 59th Quartermaster Company, 43rd Sustainment Brigade, at Fort Carson, Colo., post spokeswoman Dee McNutt confirmed Tuesday, the Army Times reported.
When contacted by the Army Times about the incident, Ms. McNutt told the publication that "the chain of command is aware and looking into the situation. That's really all I can say at this point."
Pfc. Sheffey took to Instagram to comment on the post on Tuesday, saying: "I seriously just want to say thank you to everybody who stood up to me today, like seriously. That s--- to me was not that serious. I am not a disrespectful soldier and I really appreciate you all."
The soldier did not apologize for hiding to avoid the flag.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- ISIL destroys key bridge leading to Baghdad; suicide truck bomb severed supply line
- Chinese hackers stole 'huge quantities' of sensitive data on Israel's Iron Dome
- C-130 lands at Ramstein Air Force Base with dead boy in wheel well
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring 'God's Rescue Squad'
Latest Blog Entries
- HuffPo: Denying women 'moral abortions' destroys 'soul freedom'
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Inside the Beltway: Immigration rage festers on all sides
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Hillary Clinton: I was indeed 'dead broke,' but shouldn't have said so
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world