- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Sheriff: Hernandez involved in jail scuffle
Question of the Day
DARTMOUTH, Mass. (AP) - Former NFL star Aaron Hernandez was involved in a scuffle with another jail inmate, but neither man required medical attention, a Massachusetts sheriff said Wednesday.
The brief fight took place around noon Tuesday in a common area of the Bristol County House of Correction in Dartmouth, where only one inmate is supposed to be out of his cell at a time, Sheriff Thomas Hodgson said.
It’s unclear which inmate was the aggressor. Hodgson said jail staff are interviewing witnesses and reviewing surveillance video to figure out exactly what happened and determine whether disciplinary measures or even criminal charges are warranted.
“It was very brief. The officers were right there and it was stopped within seconds, maybe a minute,” Hodgson said.
The jail is also reviewing procedures to figure out how the two inmates were allowed out of their cells at the same time.
Hodgson did not release the other inmate’s name and said he did not know of any previous tension between the two men.
“We don’t know what, if any, relationship there was or has been at any point, either here or anywhere else,” Hodgson said.
Both Hernandez and the other inmate have been moved to other units until the investigation is completed.
Hernandez, a former New England Patriots tight end, is being held without bail after pleading not guilty to murder in the death of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd. The Boston man was dating the sister of Hernandez’s fiancee.
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Sarah Palin's online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Colorado poll shows women tuning out Democrats' 'war on women' strategy
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world