- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
1 killed in Thomasville house fire; 8 escape blaze
Question of the Day
THOMASVILLE, N.C. (AP) - One person has died in a house fire in Thomasville.
Authorities say the body of the unidentified victim was found on the second floor of the seven-room home Thursday morning. The fire erupted around 2:45 a.m.
Tony Campbell is a resident of the home, and he said he yelled the victim’s name while trying to call firefighters, but he got no response. He said he tried to pull the victim out of the house, but the flames were too powerful.
Eight people managed to get out of the house.
Thomasville police and the State Bureau of Investigation were awaiting a search warrant to continue their probe. Search warrants are standard procedure when a fatality is involved in a fire.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- KING: "Man-caused disaster" on the southern border
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq