Continued from page 1

None of the defendants in either indictment could be reached for comment.

Martin Halloran, president of the San Francisco Police Officers Association, said in a statement that the indictments were apparently based on the questionable testimony of unreliable informant witnesses.

“However, we do understand that these are nonetheless serious charges,” Halloran said. “It is important to remember that the accused officers will have their day in court since federal grand juries only hear one side of the story.”

Adachi said his clients had for years reported that their rights were being violated.

“I commend the U.S. attorney for taking seriously the reports from ordinary citizens who had been humiliated, stolen from and hurt by police officers sworn to protect them,” he said in a statement.

One of the videos Adachi released in 2011 shows two officers walking into a residential hotel empty-handed and leaving with bags that Adachi said weren’t booked into evidence.

Allegations stemming from the released videos led to the dismissal of dozens of criminal cases.

The charges came after San Francisco District Attorney George Gascon referred the investigation to federal authorities, citing a conflict of interest, federal prosecutors said. Gascon was the police chief at the time the alleged conduct occurred.

“I am relieved to know that the officers have been indicted, after I referred the matter to federal authorities,” Gascon said in a statement Thursday. “It is extremely disappointing that the officers violated the trust of the community and tarnished the reputation of all the hard working men and women in uniform.”

Vargas was expected to appear before a judge Thursday, prosecutors said. The other five defendants were scheduled to appear in court Friday.

FBI Director James Comey, who was in San Francisco speaking at a technology conference, declined to discuss the cases.

___

Associated Press writer Channing Joseph contributed to this report.