- Beretta leaves Maryland over gun laws, heads for Tennessee
- Neal Boortz defends Hillary Clinton for representing child rapist
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
- 11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Turkish P.M. Erdogan won’t speak to Obama, but he’ll take calls from Biden
Antoine Griezmann called up in France squad
Question of the Day
Griezmann has scored 15 goals for Real Sociedad this season, behind only Cristiano Ronaldo and Diego Costa in the Spanish league.
“He’s very efficient, he scores a lot of goals and also makes assists,” Deschamps said. “He can play on both wings and up front. He’s a player who is technically sound in everything he does. That’s why I called him up.”
Griezmann was banned from the national team until Jan. 1 for going to a nightclub in October 2012 during the playoffs for the 2013 Under-21 European Championship. France’s team beat Norway 1-0 in the first leg but failed to qualify after losing the second leg 5-3.
“Happy to be in the squad,” Griezmann wrote on his Twitter account. “It’s just the beginning. Let’s keep on working.”
Another surprise addition to the squad is Paris Saint-Germain left back Lucas Digne, while defenders Eric Abidal and Gael Clichy were dropped along with midfielder Samir Nasri.
Digne has played only nine league games this season.
“His relatively weak playing time has not prevented him from performing well each time PSG coach Laurent Blanc has used him,” Deschamps said. “He’s a young player with a strong potential. So it was the right time for me to call him up.”
Deschamps also overlooked Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette, Marseille forward Florian Thauvin, Arsenal midfielder Mathieu Flamini and AC Milan defender Adil Rami. But he kept his trust in left back Patrice Evra, who performed poorly in Manchester United’s 2-0 loss at Olympiakos on Tuesday in the Champions League.
At the World Cup, France will face Honduras, Switzerland and Ecuador in Group E. Les Bleus will also play friendlies against Norway, Paraguay and Jamaica before the tournament.
Goalkeepers: Hugo Lloris (Tottenham), Steve Mandanda (Marseille), Stephane Ruffier (Saint-Etienne)
The president could pay the full price for ignoring Congress
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- Pentagon team dispatched to Ukraine amid crisis with Russia
- MAY: Barbarians at Jordan's gate
- Hamas terrorists wear Israeli army uniforms to ambush soldiers in Gaza
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- BERMAN & MADYOON: An Iranian-Turkish reset
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq