- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Frazier’s late layup lifts UAB over Rice 61-60
Question of the Day
HOUSTON (AP) - Chad Frazier scored 17 points, including the game-winning layup with 2 seconds left, as UAB topped Rice 61-60 Thursday night.
Both teams struggled offensively as UAB (18-10, 7-7 Conference USA) shot 36 percent from the field (21 of 58) and 13 percent from 3-point range (1 of 8) and Rice finished 24 of 61 from the floor (39 percent) and 6 of 27 from deep (22 percent). The Blazers, however, got the free throw line 23 times, converting 18 while Rice was 6 of 9 from the charity stripe - falling to 2-16 this season when attempting fewer free throws than its opponent.
Sean Obi’s jumper with 34 seconds left gave Rice a 60-57 advantage before Fahro Alihodzic cut the Blazers’ deficit to one with a layup 12 seconds later. C.J. Washington’s block on the other end set up Frazier’s game winner.
Obi led Rice (7-20, 2-13) with 12 points.
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Inside the Beltway: Republican posse rides out to fire Harry Reid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- KUHNER: Will Russia-Ukraine be Europe's next war?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq