- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Hawaii visitor spending drops for 5th month
HONOLULU (AP) - Tourism officials say travelers to Hawaii spent nearly 5 percent less last month than the same period a year earlier. The decline marks the fifth straight month of lower visitor spending.
Hawaii Tourism Authority CEO Mike McCartney said in a statement Thursday says the tourism economy is starting to plateau after two years of record-breaking growth.
He says fluctuating exchange rates, growing competition and the increasing cost of a Hawaiian vacation all contributed to the spending drop. He says the trend should continue for the first half of the year.
The agency says fewer visitors came to Hawaii from the U.S. mainland. More travelers from Japan arrived, but the average Japanese visitor spent about 7 percent less during their stay.
The total number of visitors to Hawaii was almost unchanged.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Vietnam says it may have found door of missing Malaysian jet as intel look into stolen passports
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- High schooler suing parents for money shot down by judge
- Italy outraged over U.S. gun dealer's 'David' ad
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared?
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again