- Obama admin to blame for HealthCare.gov woes, $840M cost: GAO
- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Army’s 3-D printed bombs will create ‘a whole new universe’ of deadly capabilities
- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
- U.S. chemical sites vulnerable despite millions spent on security: Congress
Jerry Brown, 75, to seek unprecedented 4th term as California governor
Question of the Day
LOS ANGELES — California Gov. Jerry Brown announced Thursday he will seek re-election this year, an expected step into a contest in which he is the favorite.
The 75-year-old Democrat said in a statement on his campaign website that he had taken out papers to seek the office, a procedural step required to run for office.
“There is nothing I would rather do,” Brown said. “So today, I have taken out the papers to run for re-election. I am here and ready to go.”
Brown has been bankrolling campaign funds for months.
The governor has been credited with easing the state’s long-running budget problems, but California is facing a potentially devastating drought, multibillion-dollar unfunded pension bills and its freeways are aging and strangled with traffic.
“I am prepared and excited to tackle these challenges and the many others that lay before us,” Brown said.
Democrats hold every statewide office and control both chambers of the Legislature. Polls show Republicans in the race so far remain unknown to many Californians. Brown’s rivals include former U.S. Treasury official Neel Kashkari and state Assemblyman Tim Donnelly of Twin Peaks, both Republicans.
TWT Video Picks
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- MSNBC's Ronan Farrow questions lack of racial diversity in emoji characters
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world