- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
Malone beats Hamilton County 78-61
LAKELAND, Fla. (AP) - Chai Baker had 44 points and 14 rebounds to lead Malone to a 78-61 victory over Hamilton County in the Florida Class A boys basketball championship game.
Baker, an Oregon State commit, broke open a close game Thursday with his dynamic, all-around effort and ability to get to the basket.
Hamilton County (26-4) had a strong first half and took an 18-10 lead in the first period after Shaquille Williams scored off of a turnover. However, Malone (20-8) closed out the period strong behind a four-point play from Baker and would eventually take a 31-29 halftime lead.
While Baker almost single-handedly carried Malone in the first half, his teammates Antwain Johnson and Xavier Gray helped with the heavy lifting in the second half. Johnson finished with 19 points and eight rebounds, while Gray added six points and 14 rebounds.
Kevin McClain led Hamilton County with 25 points before fouling out late in the fourth. Williams added 16 points and nine rebounds.
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Depth, distance reduce impact of California quake
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- New faces finding ways to win on the PGA Tour
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Prosecutors: Gray had firsthand knowledge of 'shadow campaign'
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again