- U.N.: Iran cuts stock closest to nuke-arms grade
- Oklahoma gay-marriage case before U.S. appeals court
- Times wins two awards from Society for Professional Journalists
- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
Indiana DNR says ‘13 deer harvest fell 8 percent
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Indiana’s wildlife agency says disease and new hunting rules may account for a big drop in the number of deer that hunters took during last year’s harvest.
The Indiana Department of Natural Resources says hunters killed about 125,600 deer in 2013, or more than 10,600 fewer than state’s record harvest of more than 136,000 deer in 2012. That’s an 8 percent drop.
DNR biologist Chad Stewart says at least two and possibly three factors contributed to the lower harvest. He says that includes the lingering effects of a widespread outbreak of epizootic hemorrhagic disease in 2012 and a record antlerless harvest that year.
Stewart says the second season of new hunting regulations aimed at lowering deer densities in some areas of the state may have also played a role.
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Air Force sees resource shift as U.S. exits Afghanistan, heads to Africa
- FISHER: Shades of Berlin in the South China Sea
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.