- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
New Yorkers urged to clean dirty bird feeders
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - State conservation officials are calling for New Yorkers to clean their bird feeders, noting that about this time last year they confirmed bacterial infections in common redpolls that frequented feeders across 13 counties.
While no cases have been confirmed so far in 2014, the Department of Environmental Conservation says proper feeder maintenance helps prevent the Salmonella infections, particularly in late winter when songbirds are especially vulnerable.
The DEC says outbreaks can also affect cardinals, goldfinches, sparrows, cowbirds and pine siskins.
The bacteria can be shed in birds’ feces even when they appear healthy.
It spreads through contact with infected birds, contaminated seed and seed waste and can afflict domestic animals and people.
They advise emptying and cleaning feeders and bird baths with hot soapy water at least every two weeks.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- CURL: The modern GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Six Senate seats could hinge on Keystone pipeline
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- CPAC 2014: Straw poll signals Paul-Cruz showdown
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again